Friday, July 17, 2009

Junk for Sale

I just read one of the best articles I have come across in a long time. Of course, I use the "best" description simply because I agreed with everything the author wrote. This particular piece covered the area of items created to protect children from the most dangerous of all things: life. You can find items to test bath water, helmets to protect heads when learning to walk and heaters for baby wipes. Anything you can think of to make a baby's life more pleasant is readily available - for a price.

What many parents fail to realize when indulging in these products is they are denying their child the experience of learning life as it is. In creating a false sense of the world where nothing hurts and everything is warm and comfy, how harsh will that reality be when they finally discover the truth?

Unfortunately, common sense in this area has escaped many a parent today and the generation being raised will be of the high maintenance sort. I hope my kids are able to find mates who don't expect their socks to be warm before they put them on, but what are the odds?

No comments: