Friday, January 16, 2009

Please Respect My Time

Most of us have had the experience of waiting in the doctor's office, waiting on hold for the appropriate person or simply waiting in line at the grocery store. While some wait times are inevitable - there is really little you can do about the wait in the grocery store - others are created by someone's choice.

When we wait for long periods of time in the doctor's office, it is because too many people have been scheduled for a given period of time. While certain delays can be unavoidable, is there ever a really good reason to keep someone waiting for nearly an hour each time they visit?

I selected my recent doctor not because he had a wonderful bedside manner or had the highest credentials. I selected him for the simple fact that he showed a sincere respect for my time. Not only is he consistent in only keeping me waiting less than 15 minutes on each visit, he also apologizes for any wait, even if it is minimal.

So my question is this - do we select the companies or individuals with which we do business based on their demonstration - or lack thereof - of a respect of our time?

No comments: